The Chattanooga Arboretum and Nature Center at Reflection Riding is hosting its 27th annual Native Plant Sale and Open House March 28 (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.), 29th (9 a.m. to 5 p.m.) and 30 (noon to 5 p.m.).
The sale will feature native plants that volunteers have propagated in the nursery on site for a variety of garden conditions. Native plants are a good choice for introducing into the home landscape for a number of reasons:
Bring the whole family and explore the unique landscape that is Chattanooga Arboretum and Nature Center at Reflection Riding, with over thirteen miles of trails, over one-thousand different species of flora and an incredible variety of animal life.
“We are anxious to share with our community the beauty, serenity and adventure to be found all on one site, right here, just minutes from downtown Chattanooga.” Dr. Paola Craddock, Greenhouse Manager said. “And we hope many people will take advantage of the free admission all weekend.”
Evidence of early Tennessee Valley Native Americans, Spanish explorers, pioneer settlers and Civil War soldiers is present in the natural landscape of Chattanooga Arboretum and Nature Center at Reflection Riding. Other features include the George S. Bryan Discovery Forest Treehouse and the Paddler’s Perch, both located on the banks of Lookout Creek, and the Wildlife Wanderland, with its many species of captive native animals including highly endangered Red Wolves.
Live Music Saturday and Sunday from 1-3 p.m.! Performances by "Mountain Creek House Fire" on Saturday and "Bramble Roses" on Sunday.
- Mountain Creek House Fire: Pattee Wilbanks is a regular at the Charles and Myrtles Coffeehouse. She has been performing in various groups for 35 years in Chattanooga a currently plays with Dale Martin in "BlueJohn" a well-known duo at the coffeehouse. She plays guitar, mandolin, and claw-hammer style banjo.
Robert Lovett is a Texas born singer/songwriter having performed in Knoxville, Nashville, and Lubbock,Texas. He has recorded two original solo c.d.'s which are in influenced by bluegrass and country blues. Tonight they will be performing together in the duo called "Mountain Creek House Fire."
- Bramble Roses is a 6 piece band that includes an autoharp, mountain dulcimer, mandolin, banjo and guitar. They play vocals and instrumental music of the Appalachian Mountains along with other well-loved old traditional songs. Fun for all to listen to but the children especially enjoy moving to the music.
Programs and activites will be hosted all weekend! Don't miss out!
- Master Gardeners of Hamilton County will be on hand all weekend to help you find the answer to your general gardening questions. What should be done now after the winter freeze? What do you do about ladybugs, stinkbugs, kudzu bugs? How do you test your soil? Please drop by and discuss your concerns.
- Art lessons for adults and children will be led by local artist and art teacher Hannah Alaniz. Participants will be working after the fashion of Wolf Kahn using soft chalk pastels. After a lesson artists will go outside and have all the beauty of Reflection Riding and its surroundings for their subject...
- Plein Air artists will be placing their easels throughout Reflection Riding to catch on canvas the natural beauty of one of the most beautiful places in the area. Please feel free to stop and watch as they work. You will certainly be inspired by their paintings which will be available for purchase from the artists.
Plein air painting became popular in the 1870’s when paint became available in metal tubes, making them convenient to carry and mix on site. Artists were able to get out of their studio and paint in an outdoor environment. The portable paint box was invented around this time and is still popular today. Outdoor painters are challenged to paint within a certain time frame, usually under two hours, because of the sun traveling through the sky and changes in light, shadow, and color.
Artists will be working around Reflection Riding throughout the day on Saturday, March 29. Their work will vary with choice of subject, style, and colors.